SA Blog’s handy guide to Upington Airport.
- Airport code: UTN
- Street Map: Click here (then zoom out)
- Floor plan: None available, nor needed
- General info: +27 (0) 54 337 7900
- Flight info via telephone: +27 (0) 86 727 7888
- Flight info via SMS/text: Send flight number to 35007.
- Hired/Rented cars: By arrivals
- Wifi? No
- Altnernate name: Lughawe (Afrikaans for “Airport”).
- Free carts? Yes
- Porters? Available (wearing dark green pants and blue shirts).
- Porter tip? R5 per bag.
- Curbside drop-off/pick-up allowed? Yes
- Parking? R4/hour (open), R6/hour (shaded). Long-term parking available.
- Disabled-friendly? Yes
Upington Airport is Your Correspondent’s favourite in South Africa, for three reasons: first, it has Africa’s longest runway, at 5kms (NASA’s space shuttle could land on it); second, it hosts only a single carrier, South African Airlink (see below), which flies mosquito-sized planes; and third, the landings of said mosquito-size planes on said gigantic runway are social occasions in Upington, drawing crowds. If ever you seek the simple life, consider a move to Upington’s peace and quiet.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
The city, located in what is known as the “Green Kalahari” (because of the Gariep/Orange River’s irrigation of the area), is close to two major nature reserves, both highly recommended: Augrabies Falls and the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (a.k.a. the Kalahari Desert).
Uppington Airport is as simple as it gets: you walk in a straight line from the plane to the baggage collection area to the parking lot outside.
UTN Domestic Airlines:
- South African Airlink: +27 (0) 54 332 2161