SA Blog’s handy guide to Port Elizabeth Airport.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Airport code: PLZ
- Street Map: Click here
- Floor plan: None available, nor needed.
- General info: +27 (0) 41 507 7319
- Flight info via telephone: +27 (0) 86 727 7888
- Flight info via SMS/text: Send flight number to 35007.
- Hired/Rented cars: Outside of arrivals.
- Wifi? No
- Former & alt. names: H.F. Verwoerd, Lughawe (Afrikaans for “Airport”).
- Free carts? Yes
- Porters? Available (wearing dark green pants and blue shirts).
- Porter tip? R5 per bag.
- Curbside drop-off/pick-up allowed? Yes
- Parking? R4/hour (open), R6/hour (shaded) (first hour only; thereafter, prices decrease). Long-term parking available.
- Disabled-friendly? Yes
Port Elizabeth Airport has retained its name, despite the city’s new, somewhat unwieldy moniker. (PE’s now known as the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipality, or NMMM.)
The airport is called the “10 minute airport” locally, because it’s about 10 minutes’ drive from most places in the city. It has no international flights, and is about as striaghtforward as an airport gets. In terms of convenience and ease of passage, the PE airport ranks tops in the country.
PLZ Domestic Airlines: