SA Blog’s handy guide to Kimberley Airport.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Airport code: KIM
- Street Map: Click here
- Floor plan: None available, nor needed
- General info: +27 (0) 53 851 1032
- Flight info via telephone: +27 (0) 86 727 7888
- Flight info via SMS/text: Send flight number to 35007.
- Hired/Rented cars: In a small kiosk outside the airport, I think; tell me different, or remind me to check again.
- Wifi? No
- Former & alternate names: BJ Vorster, Lughawe (Afrikaans for “Airport”).
- Free carts? Yes
- Porters? Available
- Porter tip? R5 per bag.
- Curbside drop-off/pick-up allowed? Yes
- Parking? Short-term parking free (I think – see reminder note above). Long-term parking available.
- Disabled-friendly? Moderately
From overhead, the Kimberley Airport appears to consist of two shipping containers – whereas actually it’s four. No, shame, joke. It’s better to say that the airport perfectly captures the rough-and-ready atmosphere which pervades Kimberley generally. If it works, but looks half-constructed, what’s next on the list of things to do? Only an attitude like that could have helped birth the world’s largest hand-dug open-pit mine, left it as-is, and called it the Big Hole.
KIM Domestic Airlines: