SA Blog’s handy guide to East London Airport.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Airport code: ELS
- Street Map: Click here
- Floor plan: None available, nor needed
- General info: +27 (0) 43 706 0306
- Flight info via telephone: +27 (0) 86 727 7888
- Flight info via SMS/text: Send flight number to 35007.
- Hired/Rented cars: In a small kiosk outside the airport.
- Wifi? No
- Former & alternate names: Ben Schoeman, Lughawe (Afrikaans for “Airport”).
- Free carts? Yes
- Porters? Available
- Porter tip? R5 per bag.
- Curbside drop-off/pick-up allowed? Yes
- Parking? R3.50 per hour (open), R6 per hour (shaded). Long-term parking available.
- Disabled-friendly? Yes
The greater East London area – which includes the township of Mdantsane – has adopted the name of Buffalo City, but the airport has kept “East London” as its moniker for the time being. It’s clean, its layout is straightforward, and the people who work inside it exemplify the charm and courtesy found everywhere in the Eastern Cape.
A flight to the airport brings you practically to the doorstep of the Wild Coast.
ELS Domestic Airlines: