Countdown: The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour is just 3 days away! (Counting today.)
6 WAYS TO PREVENT PRE-RACE INJURIES
The Cape Argus attracts droves of amateur cyclists, who, in fits of over-enthusiasm, can injure themselves just before the big race, as they to push themselves extra hard for a last-minute fitness boost.
Here are six ways to prevent pre-Cycle Tour injuries.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- 1. Stay safe on the road: Obey all road rules, ride in single-file and look out for motorists and pedestrians. Remember, you share the roads with others and should promote tolerance and politeness.
- 2. Stretch before your training ride. Spend about 10 minutes on each leg to prevent strains and sprains. Warm up first by jogging in place for five minutes.
- 3. Take it easy tomorrow and Saturday. Just focus on spending quality time in the saddle and don’t over-exert.
- 4. Watch out for early warning signs. Dizziness, headaches, shortness of breath, chest pains – have these checked out immediately.
- 5. Stay hydrated. Quite frankly, fellow bikers, your pee should be clear as a mountain stream at this stage. Drink eight glasses of water a day. Your muscles can’t function properly unless you’re well-hydrated.
- 6. If you’re worried about anything to do with your health, dash over to your GP for a once-over. Great for peace of mind.